Here’s is recipe #2 for the left over Eater ham! I made this for dinner last night and my family really enjoyed it.
Almost every time I bring out something new for dinner my husband asks me if I had a recipe. My usual reply is, “It’s based on a true recipe.” It seems like I’m normally out of one ingredient or I need to adjust something. I have to make all my dinner’s gluten free because a member of my family has Celiac disease. So for this recipe I made my own cheese sauce. If you want to do it the easier way you can use cream of chicken soup, I’ve include this way at the bottom of the directions. Any type of cream-of soups contain wheat so I can’t use them in my cooking. I threw in extra veggies that I had on hand, anything to try to get my kids to eat more!
Ham, Broccoli, and Rice Bake
- 2 Cups cooked ham- cubed
- 3-4 Cups cooked rice
- 1 Package frozen broccoli- or fresh
- 1 Cup frozen corn (optional)
- 1 Cup carrots- sliced (optional)
- Seasoning- salt, pepper, lemon pepper, Mrs. Dash…ext
- Sauce Ingredients (Substitution at bottom)
- 2 TBS butter
- 2 TBS flour, I used all purpose gluten-free flour
- 2 Cups milk
- 2 Cups cheddar cheese- shredded
- To make the cheddar cheese sauce melt butter in a sauce pan. Add flour and mix on high for one minute. Add milk. Keep stirring. It will thicken as it gets hotter. Before it boils, lower the heat to medium and add 1 ½ cups of cheddar cheese. Stirring continuously until sauce it thick and cheese is melted. Remove from heat.
- In a 13x9 pan put the ham, rice, broccoli, corn, and carrots. Mix them together. Pour the sauce over top and mix again. You can add any seasoning at this time. Top with the remaining ½ cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until warm. You can remove the foil for the last 5 minutes if you want the top to be brown and bubbly.
- If you don’t want to make your own cheese sauce you can mix together 1 can of cream of chicken soup, 1 ½ cups cheese and 1 cup milk.
More Recent Articles